Monday, October 14, 2013

DESIGN IDEA: Surgical Light for a Dining Room

I broke down and bought an old surgical light at BIG NYC on Saturday when I was there picking up stone.  I don't know if I'll manage to use it or if it will end up back at BIG or on craigslist, but it showed too much promise to just leave it behind.  (let me say from the get go, if you don't like this idea then you don't need to respond to this post at all.)  


V's comment when she saw this thing was that it is a little too "on the nose", by which she means that it looks like exactly what it is.  Unlike a lot of repurposed stuff we like, there is no mistaking this for some obscure bit of obsolete industrial detritus just waiting to be re-purposed.  I agree with her, but I still think it looks pretty cool and merits some consideration.

Oh, and the other thing to remember is that our dining table is going to be a heavy slab of wood sitting on this old embalming table base which I blogged about back in May 2011 when I picked it up on ebay (talk about a lack of instant gratification):



So, yeah, this light over that table... a little on the nose maybe.  But I still like it a lot.



It mounts on a track on the ceiling so that, in addition to having a full range of rotation, it can slide back and forth to be centered over wherever the action is.

I love this old label.
This belongs on "indicia of authority".

Obviously I know I'm not the first person to think to re-purpose a big surgical light as a ceiling light, but I have never actually seen it done.  Here are some examples I found on the web:

Boo! Now I want one of these



Above from: http://www.urbanremainschicago.com/hard-to-find-completely-intact-vintage-american-industrial-cook-county-hospital-double-arm-articulating-surgical-ceiling-light.html
And, while we're at it, http://www.urbanremainschicago.com/ is a pretty bitchen site.


Here is a pair of repurposed surgical lights found in a real estate listing:  http://45thompsontrail.blogspot.com/
"The lighting over the center island is made from transformed surgical lamps from a World War II hospital ship."
Someone is asking $3600 a pop for these silly pendants made of parts from a surgical light hung from a chain.

Pretty.
Very pretty, but older and more steampunk looking than the one I got.

No comments: