Sunday, November 18, 2012

Thoughts on Desks...

V and I have been discussing desk choices for her office.  This will be an ongoing conversation, but for the moment there are a few visuals as reference points.



Apparently there is a name for this kind of desk which is basically long flat box resting on glorified saw-horses.  It is called a "trestle" desk, possibly for its similarities to a train trestle? No! The "trestle" is a thing unto itself which lends its name to both the train trestle and the trestle desk.  A trestle is "a rigid frame used as a support, especially referring to a bridge composed of a number of short spans supported by such frames".  Thank you Wikipedia.

And then there is this old drafting table on ebay which I really like.



  
Why do I love the heaviest possible stuff - cast iron mainly. 

But V has some pretty reasonable ideas about mid-century looking wood desks.  She has shown me a few she likes and I think they're lovely.  Of course, the decision is hers to make and I'm just here to meddle in the process.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I've always had a bit of a hard-on for this sort of thing:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/109166620/mid-century-modern-paul-mccobb-desk?utm_source=googleproduct&utm_medium=syndication&utm_campaign=GPS&gclid=CK-vlvzb2bMCFcXb4AodU3oATA