Friday, April 27, 2018

Built-Ins Beside a Fireplace - Preliminary Thoughts

Here we go:

#1 - Lovely, but a little deep and not sure it would work if we only do one side of the chimney breast.  Also, there is no chimney breast here so it isn't our set-up.

#2 - Again, very nice.  I like this more - not as deep - indeed, sort of flush with the front of the chimney breast.

#3 - I love this - I thought I wanted the bookshelves to be shallower than the base cabinets, but this makes me reconsider.  Note however that these shelves are full width - not cobbled together bookcases - and the base cabinets are reeaaaaalllly wide.

#4 - I like the built-ins, but I don't like that they extend beyond the mantle.

#5 - Fantastic layout - and the only thing I've found that has a dining table in front of the built-ins.  So, bravo!  I'm not minding even that the base cabinets are flush with the bookcases.  But the style is a little rustic, beach-housey for me.

#6 - Again, I don't love the base cabinets proud of the mantle.

#7 - YASSSSSS!!! SLAY! I'm ready to have these installed immediately (at Ikea prices of course).  And I love the fireplace surround - marble rocks.

#8 - Shy, proud, shy, proud, shy, proud, shy...  Yuck!!!  And I didn't expect to so thoroughly dislike the way the fireplace surround/mantle is integrated (at least sylistically) with the built-ins.  YUCKO!!
#9 - I like this a lot.  Note that the base cabs and the shelves are flush - not a problem.  I even like the modern mantle treatment.  Right on.  And that boat on the right side is super-cool.

#10 - Same as #4 but with a diff perspective.  I still don't like the base cabinets so far proud of the mantle.

#11 - This one makes the point better - it just feels crowded with the base cabinets sticking out so far in front of the fireplace.  Not my thing.

#12 - I like this a lot, but not so much for us for a few reasons: (a) all custom work so $$$, (b) color is a little too much warmth for what we have going on, (c) too busy for our already busy space, and (d) no base cabinets.  But still, a lovely arrrangement.  Gimme that marble mantle!

No comments: